"… a sacred partnership dedicated to supporting a congregation where members feel connected and spiritually enhanced."
Reform Congregation Keneseth Israel was founded in 1847 as a traditional synagogue. In a move that made it Philadelphia's first progressive synagogue, KI became a Reform congregation in 1855 and was later considered the region's flagship for the Union for Reform Judaism. Our clergy, led since 2001 by Senior Rabbi Lance J. Sussman, have been central figures in Reform Judaism and have helped shape the movement as we know it today. KI continues to serve a leadership role as a visionary congregation, dedicated to meeting the ongoing and ever-changing needs of our Jewish community.