HOW OUR COLLECTION HAS GROWN DURING THE ERA OF COVID – 19
The primary mission of the Temple Judea Museum is the preservation and growth of its collection, which now totals over 6,000 objects. Since last March, although the KI building was officially shut down, and thanks to thoughtful donors, the collection has continued to grow. With the help of volunteers Maxine Schwartz, Marlene D’Orazio Adler and Norma Meshkov, properly masked and socially distanced, we have recently started to process this wonderful backlog of museum treasures. Processing involves creating a folder which must contain the written history of each object; assigning Object ID and Accession numbers; photographing each object; entering the information and photographs into our data base and uploading to our online exhibition on PastPerfect.
HERE IS A LIST OF JUST SOME OF OUR NEW OBJECTS:
Extensive collection of Jewish camping memorabilia from Anne and Dick Brown from their years of working in Jewish camping. This will form the basis of our Fall 2021 exhibition.
Jewish camping photographs and Hebrew School memorabilia from Fran Schwartz. (Also to be included in our Fall 2012 exhibition)
Hockmesser, chopping bowl and food grinder, also from Anne and Dick Brown.
“Alert”, print by Hunterwasser from Mel Richter and family. This will be exhibited in our Winter 2021 exhibition, “Moral Compass”.
Three large Tsedakah boxes, reproductions of historic synagogues, “Beth Sholom”, “Rodeph Shalom” and “Central Synagogue, NYC” a gift from Brian Rissinger, KI executive director.
Original calligraphed Hebrew banner from the Psalms by artist Cynthia Blackwood, a gift from the artist.
Set of books with decorative stand about Israel in the early 1950s, given by Ann Rubin
A collection of Judaica including mezuzot and Hanukkah menorot from Bobbi and Dick Weiss.
Two works of framed, large scale fabric art, “Hora” and Shuk” by the late artist, Shelley Picker, given by her widower, Bennett Picker. “Hora” is now hanging in the KI Boardroom and “Shuk” will shortly be hung in the second floor elevator lobby.
Three sculptures by Detroit artist, Danny Campbell, a gift of the artist. Danny designed and built models for the auto industry before he became a full time sculptor, The exquisite miniatures he gave us are: “Holocaust”, “David and Goliath” and “Tanks of the Golan”. The “Holocaust” piece will be exhibited in our spring exhibition which is in cooperation with HAMEC – our new in-building neighbors. The three will be part of an upcoming (2021 – 2022) sculpture exhibition from the collection.
A collection of phonograph records from the Michaelson Family
Many congregants donated rare or unusual books – Just a very few are listed here:
“Low-Fat Jewish Cookbook” by Fay Levy (TJM has a sizeable collection of Jewish cookbooks)
“Holocaust Survivors Cookbook” published by Caras and Associates
“Mark Twain – Concerning the Jews” Originally published in 1897, 1918, reprint.
“The Story of Bible Translations” by Max Margolis, 1917, JPS
“Sifriya LeNoar – Part One”, by Ben Rosen and Zeev Chomsky, Philadelphia PA, circa 1950
“Chumash LeMathelim – Bereshit”” by Zeev Scharfstein, Illustrations by N. Kozlowski, 1939
WWII Soldier’s handwritten memoir of Saul Weiner, gift of Phyllis Epstein
“Encyclopedia of the Founders and Builders of Israel” 18 volumes published by David Tidhar, 1947 – 1970. This set is highly prized. Gift of Dr. Yehoshua Buch
“Six Day War Victory – 1967, Published by YEFET, Tel Aviv, also a gift of Dr. Yehoshua Buch
“Yiddish Glory – The Lost Songs of WWII” CD – TJM purchase
Approximately 12 press photos purchased on EBAY for the museum’s photography collection, a gift of TJM director/curator, Rita Rosen Poley.