From Warriors to Guardians: Reimagining Community Values in Policing
May 4th from 6:00 to 7:30 PM
Please join us for an important program on policing presented by KI members on the Eastern Montco Interfaith Coalition (EMIC) and Arcadia University. Presenters will include Eddie Graham, President of the Cheltenham Area Branch of the NAACP along with members of the group, Arcadia University students, and EMIC members. Register in advance for this meeting:
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.
Be sure to Vote in the Pennsylvania Primary
All elections have consequences. Please vote. Here are some important dates:
- ● May 3, 2021 is the last day to register to vote
- ● May 11, 2021 is the last day to apply for a mail-in ballot
- ● May 18, 2021 is the last day for mail-in ballots to be received at the county board of elections
- ● May 18, 2021 is Election Day for in-person voting
Think carefully about the ballot questions
- ● Question #1 undermines the governor “by allowing the General Assembly to terminate or extend a disaster emergency declaration…without needing the governor’s approval.” This proposed amendment reverses a recent ruling of the Pennsylvania Supreme Court which prohibited the General Assembly from passing a resolution to terminate the Governor’s Covid-19 disaster emergency declaration.
- ● Question #2 is also an effort to weaken the governor’s authority. It would change the state constitution so that the governor has the authority to declare an emergency that must expire in 21 days regardless of the severity of the emergency unless the General Assembly takes action to extend the disaster emergency. This amendment reduces the length of the governor’s emergency declaration from 90 to 21 days.
- ● Question #3 looks so appealing, because it addresses equality of rights that cannot be abridged because of race or ethnicity, but there are federal laws in place that address the issue. So why do we need an amendment to our state Constitution? It could be argued that this question opens the door for reverse discrimination law suits in Pennsylvania.
These first two proposed amendments give greater power to the legislature and weaken the governor. The third proposed amendment needs a careful reading. Read the League of Women Voters’ analysis of the ballot questions at: https://tinyurl.com/