Keeping Current with the RAC Initiatives
Re: Covid Relief Bill currently being discussed in the U.S. House of Representatives
In my last message, I shared some information from The Religious Action Center and I would like to continue sharing some of the political and legislative outreach that continues on behalf of the Union for Reform Judaism over the next few months. My hope is that, as a congregation immersed in Tikkun Olam, we all would want to find out more about current issues that are supported by our Reform Movement.
URJ is currently engaged in urging members around the country in asking Congress to support more equitable public health and economic response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Our Jewish tradition requires empathy on our part as we continue to fight for justice during this time. Providing health care is not just an obligation for the patient and the doctor, but for society as well, and particularly during a global emergency.
I am sure you have read about the last relief bill that passed through congress in December 2020. However, we feel that more relief is needed and we are calling on Congress to immediately pass another aid package. This discussion is currently taking place and could be passed, in some form, within the next week. Action is needed quickly!
Actions would include:
- Extending the Pandemic Unemployment Compensation (PUC).
- Guaranteed paid sick leave and paid family and medical leave for all workers.
- Free, equitable, and accessible COVID-19 testing, treatment, and vaccinations for all.
- Increasing benefits for the food assistance programs and eliminating barriers to access.
- An increase in health care funding for states, localities, and tribes, including by increasing the federal Medicaid match to states (known as the Federal Medical Assistance Percentage, or FMAP)
- Protecting frontline health care workers.
- Providing additional direct payments to all low-and moderate-income individuals and households.
- Extending the eviction moratorium and providing rental assistance.
You are welcome to view these issues in depth on the rac.org website. If you choose to do so, you may also submit a personal letter to your Representative directly from the information page.
I would also recommend that you sign up for Weekly Updates, by email, from the RAC in order to learn about key issues in the news!